History of Kottakkal
Kottakkal, an Eranadan village, is located on the western side of Malappuram, the district head quarters. Even though effervescent with the arrogance of city life in its veins, Kottakkal sustains its serenity, lingering on with the lost memories of bygone grandeur. Just walk through the alleys of this village where history slumbers. You could hear the footsteps of centuries of Kerala history rustling in its glades.
Kottakkal, known as White Fort in Sanskrit, Venkalikotta and Venkitta Kotta in Malayalam was a small militarily base of the King of Valluvanadu till the first halt of 18th century in Christian era. Karuvayoor Moosad, the chief marshal and preacher of Valluvakonathiri lived here. May be the forts and castles constructed by him bestowed the title Kottakkal to this village. The suburbs of Kottakkal were known as Changuvettikadu and Eyyakkadu. Karuvayoor Moosad assassinated Thinayancherry Elayath , one of the ministers of Zamorin. Then Moonnarpadu Thampuran, the cousin of Zamorin of Calicut killed Karuvayoor Moosad in a combat and restored control of the fort. The kith and kin of this Thampuran dwelled in Kottakkal there after.
The invasion of Tippu, diverged the course of Kottakkal's history as in the case of many other villages. But the wonderous fact was that the diversion reflected on the cultural field only. A kin of Zamorin of Calicut who had been sheltered in Travancore fearing the Mysore invasion, later settled in Kottakkal after the death of Tippu in 1799. Among them the most prestigious Name was that of Manorama Thampuratty Highly scholastic and with her Travancore-Cochin connections, she could represent an inter kerala cultural course.